A content template is a effective means of translating useful information from your experts into simple editorial and writing guidelines to your writers, translators and editors.
A content template is a simple document that serves two purposes:
- structure and organize your ideas in the pieces of content you produce,
- give the writers, editors and translators guidelines on the tone of voice, editorial line and messages.
Content templates are wizards for content production
Content templates are practical guidelines put directly within a future content structure. They have to be made simple for the writers and translators. At least, every content template should contain the following information:
- The page title, including if there is a character limit, specific tone of voice or wording, and how SEO keywords should be used
- The lead paragraphe, including the same guidelines as for the title
- A chunk of content for every chunk of information that will have to be communicated on the final page, including the purpose of each chunk of content (attention, interest, desire, action), and what formats it can be in (paragraph, bulleted list, quote, with internal links, etc.). To be clear, these guidelines tend to integrate examples of a real chunk of information, written by actual writers and translators.
Note – Content templates are usually created by content strategists, but if your project doesn’t have a dedicated content specialist, the templates can be produced by a marketing specialist, a project coordinator, or any other person who is in charge of your content. If no one is currently in charge of your content, you have bigger problems and should contact us.
The 3 benefits of content templates
Content templates are specifically effective when you’re working with whole classes of pages, like product pages or blog articles, or SEO landing pages, all of which need to contain similar information, presented in a consistent way.
The second asset of a content template is that your writers and translators won’t write a blank page : they have guidelines, they know what to tell, how to tell it and where to tell it. Moreover, if they have several similar pieces of content to write, they will gain in speed and productivity thanks to the writing routine that templates offer.
Last, but not least, the global quality and relevance of your content will be higher as you asked your experts in exactly what kind of content they need for each page.
How to choose your best content template?